Templeton School

Templeton is a rural suburb of Christchurch, New Zealand, approximately 20 minutes south of the Christchurch City Centre, 5 minutes south of Hornby. 

Templeton Primary School serves a community of approximately 1000 families locally as well as some families from nearby suburbs who prefer the rural environment.

School History
Templeton Primary School was originally sited on the corner of what is now Kirk Rd (formally Church Rd) and Railway Tce behind Mr Kissel's store, now a saddle shop.  It is believed that this school was first established around 1861.

The second school, built on the present site, was built in 1874 on property owned by Mr Bailey.  The school was a two room wooden building with stables for the children's horses. This building was reshaped and added to over the years, until in 1961 it was demolished and replaced by the present school.

The present primary school was officially opened in Templeton's centennial year of 1962.

The school's roll in 1866 was 25, in 1986 it was 234 and in 2014 it is 345.

In the early 1800s Templeton School serviced a very big rural farming community area.

Templeton School
40 Kirk Road
Christchurch 8042

Phone: 03 349 7045